Burj Al-luqluq, a historical monument in the northeastern corner of the Old City of Jerusalem dated back to the year 945 AH / 1538 AD, is distinguished by its artistic beauty and its presence near the historic walls of Jerusalem.
On the same site, the image today is the sports department of Burj Alluqluq Social Center Society, which was built in 2010 with funding from the Italian Cooperation.
In the picture, the Prince of Jerusalem, Faisal al-Husseini, appears with several Jerusalemite personalities, including the head of the Jerusalem Chamber of Commerce, Kamal Obeidat, the Secretary of Fatah Movement in the Old City, Nasser Qus, and the Director of the Youth Department of the Arab Studies Association, Mazen al-Jabari, while the member of the Board of Directors Iyad al-Zaatari talks about the center’s work.
One of the most famous facilities of Burj Al-Luqluq is the football field which was built in 1991 by Jerusalemite youth. The aim at that time was to protect the land from any attempt of confiscation. The field covers an area of 1,500 square meters and has been renovated by the Palestinian Welfare Association over the past 30 years. Today, thousands of Jerusalemites have played in the field as it hosts all matches and tournaments for children, youth, and families of the Old City.
One of the most important facilities of Burj Al-Luqluq since it is a major multi-use playground, from which players benefit from all activities and various sports such as basketball, handball, and volleyball, in addition to tennis and athletics. The court was built in 1991 with the support of the Palestinian Welfare Association which renovated it in 2009. The court is used daily by students of the Faculty of Sports through the partnership between the center, Al-Quds University, and the Department of Physical Education at the university.